Idle fuel mixture setting

DIRK BROER OADDAB at STDVAX.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Fri Aug 5 18:44:21 GMT 1994

General EFI question:

On the mustang list - the question that came up is how the EFI sets the
mixture at idle.  For emission reasons I suspected that the EFI uses the O2
sensor to set the idle mixture at 14.7:1  Does anyone know if this is a
hard and fast rule?  I know some engines with radical cams like seeing more
fuel at idle - but I always thought it was due to the exhaust contamination
- you basically had to add more fuel to keep the ratio the same.  The final
ratio at the exhaust would still appear to be 14.7:1 by the O2 sensor.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Dirk