Idle fuel mixture setting

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Mon Aug 8 20:02:18 GMT 1994

Bohdan.L.Bodnar at att.com writes:
> The statement about running richer at idle is, to the best of my knowledge,
> correct.  This is done for several reasons (I mentioned the increased
> scavanging time -- roughly, this can be viewed as an increase in EGR).  The
> 14.7/1 a/f ratio is required for NOx reduction, not HC, CO oxidation.  At
> idle, there is little NOx formation and therefore the need for tight operating
> bounds is not as great.

Right, but if anything, you'd want to go lean at idle, not rich.  I
don't have any tables handy but CO generally goes thru the roof just
rich of stoich and rapidly approaches nil on the lean side.

Jonathan R. Lusky  --  lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
 "Turbos are nice but I'd rather be blown!"
    68 Camaro Convertible - 350 / TH350
       80 Toyota Celica - 20R / 5spd