support components for non-MCU controllers..

BigBrother at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU BigBrother at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Dec 2 01:28:15 GMT 1994

Question:

If a true CPU is used in a controller ( like
John's 68HC000 EFI board ) instead of a
microcontroller, what compnents are needed?

This seems quite difficult!

I guess A/D converters aren't too hard to interface.
And I've seen how the UART handles serial I/O

But most importantly, how do you do
real-time input/output interupt based events?

We need real-time INPUTS for the crankshaft
and cam position sensors, and real-time OUTPUTS
for all injectors.

Is there some special chip that works right
on the bus to handle this?

I know the 68hc11 has over 70,000 transistors
in the IC/OC (input compare/output compare)
section for the real time stuff.