The 8254 programmable interval timer

BigBrother at mail.utexas.edu BigBrother at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 2 19:08:35 GMT 1994

> | We need real-time INPUTS for the crankshaft
> | and cam position sensors, and real-time OUTPUTS
> | for all injectors.
> |
> | Is there some special chip that works right
> | on the bus to handle this?
> Yes, the SSI67F687 was one such chip mentioned here
> on this list. Silicon Systems was more than happy
> to send me some of there propaganda. I also believe
> I could use a 82C54 with a GAL or two (... flywheel
> tooth counter and a PLL ...) to do this also.

That's interesting. I'm not familiar with all of the 8000 Series
stuff, but that sounds pretty neat.  Is the 8254 kind of an like
the output compare of the 68hc11?  I do have a book (8088 Projects)
that describes the 8259 which has 8 interupts.  I suppose that
could be used for the inputs.

How many outputs does the 8259 have?

By the way, how is the new 68k EFI board coming?
I put a hault on my plans to construct .9, since
your new and improved version is almost done.