Potting compound in ECMs

BigBrother at mail.utexas.edu BigBrother at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 14 22:12:47 GMT 1994

>The 94 and newer GM vehicles have Potted ECM's with Flash EEprom.  It is
>the first step.  Ford's have been like this for a while as have chrysller.

Yeah, I've seen the potting compound in Chrystler ECMs.  I didn't know
Ford is using potted ECMs as well.  What processor do new GM ECMs use?
I heard they use the 68332, which has the 64k of Flash EEPROM, but
Motorola swears the part is out of production, due to problems with
the EEPROM.

By the way, does anybody know where to get that potting compound?
It looks like really neat stuff!  Complete protection from water,
humidity, condensation, etc.  However, it must have special static
properties to avoid destruction of all the chips it covers.