Injector supply voltage & positioning.

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.oz.au
Tue Dec 20 22:50:40 GMT 1994

Hi there,

I was discussing EFI in general the other day with a mechanic freind and
couldn't convince him that it is best to run the injectors from full
battery voltage, and use a compensation in the opening time of the
injector for lower voltages.

He thought it would be more logical to run the injectors from a fixed
voltage source (eg 8 volts), then you wouldn't have to worry about
compensating. I said it's comparable to using the starter motor at 8
volts - if you've got the power on hand, why not use it? Does this seem
like a reasonable reply to his question?

Also, the person who asked about injector positioning, I'd suggest
selecting a location where the spray least collides with the side walls
(eg on the 'elbow' of the manifold bend, pointing into the port).
I supposed technically speaking you'd want it where the most turbulance
is, however you're not easily going to find that.

Take a look at some workshop manuals on EFI cars, that should give a few
ideas for your specific situation.

Merry Xmas,
Craig.