VW Digifant ECU

David Cooley cooldave at nando.net
Thu Dec 29 13:58:29 GMT 1994

On Thu, 29 Dec 1994, Peter Orban wrote:

> Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!
>
> Has anyone dug into the Digifant FI, and its potential for modification,
> of VWs, 88-92 Golfs and Jettas? Currently there are no aftermarket chips
> available for this ECU.
> The architecture is a dual processor one: An intel 8039 for the fuel
> control, that chip has its code in a 2764 EPROM, and has a TI ADC 0809
> attached to it. The other processor is a Motorola 6805 variant for the
> ignition control. The processor itself is marked SC 80984, and is EPROM
> programmable. Has anyone heard about this particular chip?
> Any information and discussion on the above would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Peter
> --
> Peter Orban
> National Research Council of Canada
> Internet: peter.orban at nrc.ca

   Peter,
There is one company that says they have a chip for your application, but
I would be kind of leery of them.. Superchips Inc.  They have chips for:
VW 1.8 L 16V, 2.0L 8&16V, VW VR6, and VW G60.  Now the owner of this
company admitted to fraud a while back on the mitsubishi eclipse.
Someone asked him why he didn't change the eprom program (they read the
chip before they sent it to him) in the ECM.  He supplied a 5.00 aquarium
air valve to use as a bleeder to increase boost, put a superchips sticker
on top of the eprom, and charged 300 dollars.  The rest of his chips may
be the same or they may not.
Later,
Dave