Connecting analog signals

Jari Porhio eppu at proffa.cc.tut.fi
Sun May 8 09:27:33 GMT 1994

 Hello, my name is Jari Porhio and I'm studying automation engineering
here at Tampere Univ. of Technology.

 What comes to the hardware we choose to use, I would like to repeat
what couple of you already said. Let's not design a new one-card
microcomputer, let's use something which is readily available and
working. I don't care what's printed on top of the processor, but I
have one card very similar to the miniboard and it cost only $60
(including 68HC11A1, 32 K RAM, 32 K PROM, some minor components and a
pc-board).

 Right now I'm thinking how to use these AD-converters on this chip,
but unfortunately I don't have too much experience in practice.
Instead of creating a chaos here, I thought I could ask some of you to
email your thoughts to me and I would make a summary we could use
later too.

 So this is Request For Comments ;) on Connecting analog signals to a
processor. I think there are two possible situations, it must be cheap
and simple (you know what you're doing) or it must be as flexible as
possible (you don't have a clue). Specs:

- AD-converter range 0...5/10/whatever V
- very different kind of signals, potentiometers, O2-sensors, knock
  sensors
- lowpass/bandpass filters required, bw of n kHz (active or passive?)
- signal amplification and adaption to ADC range (offsets?)
- peak limits
- ?

P.S. you can correct my grammar, if you do it nicely :)