requirements...

Ken King kking at cs.uah.edu
Tue May 10 06:12:04 GMT 1994

greetings:
  some additions to the 'outline' requirements sent out some number of days ago

4.3 water temp  (in block, so we know what the temp is prior to the thermostat
     opening...)
4.9 full engine status (including oil temp/pressure, tranny temp/pressure,
     rpm, outside temp,...) these are for display & recording (see 8.1)
4.10 knock sensor (or, as was suggested to me some time ago, cyl. pressure
     sensors (wrap 'round spark plugs...))
7.2.1 voltage outputs (as well as switched - wire-or'd to a *big* red lite)
      for driving gagues (stock, aftermarket or custom...)
7.4 switch/solonoid controllers (for water injection, nitous, alky,...)
7.5 tach, speedo, odo,... (mpg, miles-till-empty,...) trip computer stuff,
    we'll have damn near all the input needed...
    (try a recent top-of-the-line jeep for a clue... when my wife got one,
     the cost to finish my project just about doubled): :( :)
8.0 onboard memory - good for error code storage (w/ a few seconds of data
    from either side of the event), data points for quarter mile (or 1/8 in
    my case) runs - things like being able to plot oil pressure vs rpm...
(that should have been 8.1)
8.0 debug/memory
8.2 breakpoint debugger - to keep a list of what happened (event flags, data
    values) in a circular buffer w/ programmable 'ends' (ie everything bfore
    the event happened, some data before & some after,...)
    historical note - on my last embedded controller (experiment controller
    flight box for nasa) we had an ASIC w/ 1024 'events' and the ability to
    snoop the busses (2 cpus,...)  it was ***REAL*** handy.  might be a bit
    hard to implement, but s/w monitor (laptop) might suffice...

just some thoughts...

my desires are to build a turbocharged (or paxton/vortech) inline 6 w/ efi
and electronic (adaptive) ignition.  included in the ignition is the ability
to milk the most out of each cyl, independantly of the others.

therefore, my list of wants/desires are as follows:
 - work with boost (incl. ignition controller)
 - include load profile of engine (for lockup converter control (tranny))
 - possible control harness for electrically controlled 4spd auto-tranny
 - adaptable/scalable (4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, different rpm limits...)  the
   idea was to have a cpu that was available w/ many clock speeds, so we
   only needed to buy what our application needed...
 - options for pre-ignition chekcs (ie not start cranking engine until the
   fuel rail is pressurized, pre-luber/oil pressure switch...)
 - ignition switch for startup (ie no spark until after tdc, for hi-compr
   engines...)
 - options for linear 02 sensor (not just those lousy 02 switches...)
 - price of under $500 (several companies can help you 'fix' a scavanged
   ecu for about that price (assuming a reasonable salvage 'fee')

that about does it for now...

later,
kc

69 nova (all over the garage)    77 aspen (slant 6) rusting in driveway :)