Crank Position

Dale Ulan ulan at ee.ualberta.ca
Sun May 15 02:15:48 GMT 1994

> to the harmonic balancer or the flex plate. Opinions are sure to differ
> about such specifics.  A reasonable design should take this into account,
> and allow several options, IMHO.

Sounds like the TPU on the 68332A would work quite well for this application.
Also, you can usually get aftermarket pickups for engines.... for the magnetic
crank sensor triggered coil ignitions. I can't remember who made these.

Also, a favorite of car companies now is the multi-tooth wheel with an extra
or missing tooth. The 68332A has a TPU function that decodes this and
interpolates the angle in between position pulses. From this, the TPU can
fire ignition and injection pulses with no problem. I believe you can
also have a separate cam position sensor to sync SEFI. I haven't tried
setting up a 68332A yet, but I've been working on some code that I will
be able to try once I get the parts.

The TPU looks much more complicated than it is, since the included TPU
functions are quite nice for many applications... especially engine control.

-Dale