Briggs-sized injectors, drivers, and pleasant development environments

Matthew Lee Franklin fran0054 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Thu Nov 3 15:47:01 GMT 1994

An injector that may work well for a Briggs application is a BOSCH
280 150 210.   The parts guy at the BMW motorcycle dealer said is is used
in a 1985 and newer K75 with the 750cc three cylinder.  I have succesfully
used one in a small Briggs-based research setup.  Another student here is
currently using one on a 350cc Onan generator for a research project.  I
think list on it was about $130.24.  Its internal resistance is about
16.3ohms, so I think it is meant to be driven with a saturation driver.

However, I use a Motorola MC3484-S4 driver since that's what I had on
hand, it works just like a saturation driver at 12V and 16.3 ohms, and it
is a nice, integrated package.  ALSO, I tend to let the magic smoke out of
most of the lone transistors I touch, so in the long run the integrated
driver chip saves me money.  They cost about $4.50 each from Hamilton-
Avnet, but you have to buy at least 40 or 50 at a time.

I'm using one of the most pleasant environments for developing and
debugging engine management systems.  It started with a prototype card
stuffed with six Intel 8254 programable counter timer chips and some
supporting logic.  The card is plugged into an 486-25 IBM compatable PC and
is programmed in QuickBASIC in the pseudo-interpreted mode.  The system
has been used for the last couple of years to study optimization strategies
for air-fuel ratio and ignition timing on port fuel injected natural gas
engines in our dyno lab.  I know many will be disappointed that the system
is not done with a lone 68-something processor or microcontroller and
programmed assembly language or C, but I'm only an ME with just enough EE
in me to be dangerous.  Besides, the system really shortens the development
cycle, and if you ever have to explain a program to anyone else, BASIC is
the one common language that all can understand.

Later,
Matt

Matthew L. Franklin
University of Minnesota