FW: Injected Briggs

Ciciora Steve sciciora at al.noaa.gov
Thu Nov 3 17:54:14 GMT 1994

  Isn't it cool how great minds think alike? :-)  I, too have been thinking of
hotrodding a briggs lawn mower.  First step, get an alternator and motorcycle
battery running on the mower, next add an ignition system.  My 'stock' lawn
mower seems to have fixed advanced igniton, so shouldn't be too hard to do
better.  Centrifical and vaccum would be nice.  Next, fuel inject it.  Then
play w/ higher compression ratios, porting the heads, etc.  Stuff I'm too
chicken to do on my daily driver.  I don't think a 10 horse dyno would be that
hard either (my lawn mower engine started out as a 3 and 1/2 horse engine).  I
would use a break rotor, a disc brake caliper, and measure the force about a
foot out on a lever arm off of the caliper.  Garden hose for cooling the break
rotor.
  Anyway... On to small injectors.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out
how to get a small injector.  Realized that my brother's 1990 K75S BMW
Motorcycle is fuel injected.  3 Cyl., 750 cc, 250 cc per injector.  $118.40
each, though.  I called (303) 936-2317.  Wonder if the D.U.M.P. (Denver Used
Motorcycle Parts) has any used?  If you have not read it yet, get a copy and
read John DeArmond's articles on a fuel injector flow bench, in the only two
issues of Performance Engineering Mag.  He mentioned stratigies on how to get
injectors to fire quicker, like running almost enough current for it to fire,
so when you want it to, it won't take as long to build up the magnetic field.
  Speaking of John... Anybody hear from him, or know how to get a hold of him?
He promised refunds on his mag., but I'd just like to get a copy of the small
free issue instead (I lost mine :-{).  I wonder how's his BBQ business?

Jeff,

I've been interested in trying to inject a small engine, too.  I've rigged up
an gutted alternator from a VW Rabbit to a 5 HP Tecumseh to use as a brake for
a dyno.  I've kludged the thing by shorting the three legs of the windings to
form an eddy-current brake.  The load is easily adjusted via the field current.
The problem, of course, is the heat produced.

I have successfully run the ignition from a magnetic TDC reference sensor.

Anyway, exactly what injector have you found that is small enough to work
on these small displacement engines.

.../Bill Lewis