Electronics specs questions

Matthew Lee Franklin fran0054 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Fri Nov 4 22:01:47 GMT 1994

On Fri, 4 Nov 1994 08:48:29 -0700, MTN-KAT wrote:

>I don't know diddly about electronics. I'm sitting here looking thru a Digikey
>catalog trying to figure out...

Not to confuse the issue, but I have used fiber-optics for all my
projects.  It is sort of a stretced out optoisolator.  A real ME solution
in an EE world.  It really protects the PC from the wicked ignition noise
if a typical spark ignition engine.  The fiberoptic transmitter (visible
red) is a Motorola MFOE76, available for about $2.50 each from Hamilton-
Avnet (in quantities of 50).  The reciever is a Honeywell SD4324 (infrared
but it seems to work great), was available from DigiKey for about $12-13,
but DigiKey no longer stocks these.

One nice thing about F/O is that you can check to see that the signals are
working without a scope.  Just revolve the end of the cable with your hand
in a small circle and look at how long the pulse looks.  With a little
experience and a fast, repeatable hand you can judge pulse widths!

A great fuel injector driver is a Motorola MC3483-S4, available for about
$4.50 each from Hamilton-Avnet (in quantities of 40 or 50).

Later,
Matt

Matthew L. Franklin
University of Minnesota