GALs- what are they?

John S Gwynne jsg
Sat Nov 5 03:25:35 GMT 1994

--------

   In message <9411042247.AA01646 at fuelrod> , you write:

| Perhaps its time to get some heads together out there and build a
| public domain software tool and a real simple programmer that would
| hook up to a printer port to program just a few parts so everyone
| could use this technology.

It's been done.... I've not seen or used what follows, I use the
programmer here at the lab for my needs, so take it for what it's
worth....

-------------- cut here ----------------
In <Cq9pz8.IJ7 at zoo.toronto.edu>, Henry Spencer wrote:
: In article <2rfiorINN3d5 at fstgds15.tu-graz.ac.at> mike at sztma.tu-graz.ac.at (Michael Schoeggl) writes:
: >i'm currently working on a pal/gal programming device.
: >could someone provide me some information on how to program these
: >chips?

: I believe we have an FAQ on this which appears occasionally...  The fast
: answer is that most manufacturers will not tell you how to blow the fuses
: in their chips.

Here's the latest version.

Mark Zenier  mzenier at eskimo.com  mzenier at netcom.com

Subject:  Homebuilt PAL (EPLD) programer : A FAQ

[Last Revised: May 6, 1994 - Electronic Now project, In circuit programmables]

So you want to build a logic device programmer.

First, be aware that the manufacturers don't feel it's in their
interest to give you enough information to build one. There's a
couple of reasons.  Some them make money by selling programmers
and software.  Some of them don't want to spend a lot of money
trying to figure out why you (and thousands others like you) can't
get parts to  program (or worse, stay programmed) using your homemade
programmer.

So, starting around 1985, most manufacturers have removed this
information from their databooks.  Expect most CMOS parts to
have proprietary algorithms.  Also expect as parts are redesigned
to be faster, the old programming algorithms may be obselete, or
have certain parameters in them shift.

But if you are convincing, some of the manufacturers will give
you the information on a nondisclosure basis.  (I've heard
National and TI are pretty nice.  Lattice and AMD, downright rude.)

[I've try to get this information from NS... unsuccessful. -- jsg]

And there is a new trend in industry that will help the hobbyist.
Manufacturers would like to control their inventory, but the
way older parts are programmed adds extra (possibly) expensive
steps to the process of making a circuit board:  procuring and
inventorying the unprogrammed parts, programming them, reinventorying
the programmed parts (and insuring they are programmed and marked
correctly), making sure they are available to be inserted in the
circuit board, and placed the right location ...

And after all of that, the board is tested in Automatic Test Equipment.
This automatic test equipment has the same sort of electronics that
a device programmer has (and have been used for this at many companies).
So why not design parts that can easily (without destroying connected
circuitry) programmed during the final test stage and skip many of
the steps mentioned in the previous paragraph.

In order to do this, the semiconductor companies have to make the
parts easy to program, and release the programming algorithms.
Intel and Lattice with their Flex and ispLSI families are doing this.

The following is aimed at the level of the basement hacker,
restricted to lower complexity parts.  Which is what I've found
in the surplus market.

Just remember that if you build your own programmer, factor in
some money for test data (that is, destroyed parts).  Unless you're
using cheap parts, the $500 to $700 you tried to avoid spending for
an inexpensive programmer could add up sooner than you expected.

Here's a list of articles and databooks that I've scraped together.
Grouped by devices supported and in order of usefulness (IMHO).

1. GALs (EEPROM based), from Lattice, National and SGS-Thomson

"Build This PLD Programmer" by Robert G. Brown
Electronics Now (magazine), May 1994
     This is a simple programmer limited to the 16v8 and 20v8
     parts.  It consists of two circuit cards, one a general
     purpose parallel port for the IBM PC and a programmer
     card with the drivers, ZIF socket, and voltage regulators.
     (Very similar to the Elektor project.)

     Various kits and software available from
     R.G. Brown
     30 Wicks Road
     E. Northport, NY  17731

"Project: GAL programmer" by Manfred Nosswitz.
Elektor Electronics (magazine), May 1992
     This is a simple (5 IC's, 7 transistors, 2 voltage reg.) board
     driven by a program (in this case for an IBM PC or clone) using
     the computer's printer port.  It supports the 16v8, 20v8 original
     and A versions.

"Project: GAL Programmer Upgrade" by M. Nosswitz
Elektor Electronics, June 1993
     An add-on board with a D/A converter to allow a variable programming
     voltage, and a new software driver.  Now programs B version GALS,
     22V10's, 20RA10's, and the GAL6001 PLA.

     The software and PC boards are available through the Elektor
     publishers/franchises in various countries.
     In the US this is Old Colony Sound Lab (the publishers of
     Audio Amateur, and the former publisher of the US edition of
     Elektor Electronics).

     Old Colony Sound Lab
     P.O. Box 243
     Peterborough, NH  03458
     (603) 924-6371 or -6526   Fax (603) 924-9467

     In the UK
     Elektor Electronics (Publishing)
     P. O. Box 1414
     Dorchester  DT2 8YH
     England

     The item number for the software is 1701, the US price as of
     June 1993 is $22.30, the UK price 11.15 pounds.  The software
     upgrade is item 1881, $21.50 or 10.75 pounds.  The PC board
     is item 920030, US $22.30, UK 11.15 pounds.  The PC board for
     the upgrade is 930060, $9.50 or 4.75 pounds.

     Back issues may still be available from Old Colony, otherwise
     the address is

     Worldwide Subcription Service, Ltd.
     Unit 4, Gibbs Reed Farm
     Pashley Road, Ticehurst  TN5 7HE
     England

"Generic Array Logic (GAL)"  D. Gembris
Elektor Electronics, April 1992
     A description of the architechture of a GAL, along with the
     programming algorithms.  Unfortunatly this describes the
     nonvolatile memory layout for the original version parts, and
     the A version parts would not work if this information were used.
     Some other information is left out, including describing the
     nonvolatile memory register that contains the part ID code and
     manufacturer.  (This article is useful if you want to disassemble
     the software from the previous reference, but incomplete otherwise.
     Not really needed if you want to build and use the project as is.)

2. Cypress and Samsung (UVEPROM based)

     Contrary to the trend.  Cypress Semiconductor published the
     algorithms for the simpler PLD chips they produced.  They
     have since discontinued this.  But as of the 1990 databook,
     they included the algorithms for their 16L8, 16R8, 16R6,
     16R4, 20G10 (like a smaller 22v10), and their 22v10 devices.

     Judging from the algorithms in their 1988 databook, Samsung
     is a second source for Cypress.  Their CPL 20 family is the
     same as the Cypress devices.  In addition, they have 24 pin
     devices with the same technology that implement the 20L10,
     20L8, 20R8, 20R6, and 20R4 devices.

"EPLD programmer design"  John Cromie
Electronics & Wireless World,  February 1989
     An article describing a single chip microprocessor driven
     programmer (using a Hitachi 63701) that programs the devices.
     "Contact the author for software.", a common trend in
     this publication's "projects".

3. PEEL18CV8 (EEPROM), from International CMOS Technology, Gould AMI

"Create Your Own IC's", Bill Green
Popular Electronics, January 1990
     A single board Z80 based programmer for the PEEL18CV8 using
     keyboard entry.  No algorithm description.  PLD and EPROM
     for z80 program needed to duplicate.  (Listed price was
     cheap, about $80 in 1990.)

4. Classic Bipolar Fuse Programmed PALS from MMI, National, TI

"A PAL Programmer" and "Getting Started with PALS" , Robert A. Freedman
Byte, January 1987
     A programmer for the original PAL family (too many to list).  Implemented
     in the form of a IBM PC expansion card. (And sold for a while by
     Microway).  Design is implemented with PALs.

PAL Programmable Array Logic Handbook
Monolithic Memories, 1981
  or
"Designing with Programmable Array Logic", Tech. Staff of Monolithic Memories
McGraw-Hill, 1981
     A hardback copy of the MMI databook, including the programming
     algorithms.

Interface, Bipolar LSI, Bipolar Memory, Programmable Logic Databook
National Semiconductor, 1983
     Databook back when they still published the algorithms.

The TTL Data Book, Volume 4, Bipolar Programmable Logic and Memory
Texas Instruments, 1985
     Databook back when they still published the algorithms.

The IC Master, 1986
     TI actually published some of the algorithms in the advertising
     pages in the Custom/Semicustom section.

5. AMD version of the classic PALS (Fuse Programmed)

Programmable Array Logic Handbook
Advanced Micro Devices, 1986-1987
     This has the algorithms for the bipolar amPAL devices that
     existed at the time, including the amPAL22V10.  These
     differ from the 1983 algorithms, which were preliminary.

6. PLS153, PLS159 from Signetics (Fuse Programmed)

AN12, "Low Cost Programmer for PLD 20-Pin Series"
Programmable Logic Data Manual
Signetics, 1987
     A programmer for the low end 20 pin PLA family.  Implemented
     in those devices.  Device mapping for only two of the members.
     (Earlier databooks may have this information.)

7. PLS100, from Signetics (Fuse Programmed)

"Programming p.l.d.s", V. Lakshminarayanan
Electronics & Wireless World, January and February 1988
     A circuit description for a programmer for the oldest
     Signetics PLA device.  No Algorithm. Contact author for
     software.

Bipolar and Mos Memory Databook
Signetics, 1980
     Algorithm desciption.  (IMHO, why bother ;-) )

Mark Zenier  markz at ssc.wa.com  markz at ssc.com
--------------- cut here ------------------

and yet more!!!

--------------- cut here ------------------

In article <1993Nov29.231110.21655 at msc.cornell.edu>,
 <cytan at msc.cornell.edu> wrote:
>Hi all,
>       I have just received the latest issue of Circuit Cellar Ink (Dec 93
>#41) and it describes FPGAs that are programmed by an external EPROM! It is a
>Xilinx 3000 part. After reading the article it seems that the software
>required to capture the design and turn it into INTEL HEX for the EPROM is
>about $1000 :-(. Certainly too much for a hobbyist. I'm just wondering if
>anyone on the net has had experience with this Xilinx part, or any
>suggestions that I can hack out a Xilinx 3000 compiler myself so that I
>don't have to spend any real money to use FPGAs.

Xilinx is not interested in helping anyone do this for a reasonable amount
of money. Might I suggest an alternative: The Intel Flexlogic series.
Features:

- SRAM based with one time programmable EPROM that loads the RAM.
- Is not a FPGA (even though the marketing folks are calling it so.) It's
  a complex GAL. The 780 has 8 24x10 gals with a 100% interconnect matrix
  inbetween. Each GAL can be configured as a 128x10 SRAM also.
  Equivalent gates is appx 5000 gates.
- 10ns prop delay, 80 Mhz max clock speed.

OK now the good stuff,

- Data sheets, programming specs, and examples are available from Intels
  Fax service. Number is 1-800-628-2283
- Programmed via a 5 wire JTAG interface. Intel has a cable that hooks up
  to you PC parallel port. There is also specs for building a microncontroller
  based loader.
- Intel is giving away the design software. Call 1-800-548-4725. Runs on
  386 PC's with VGA.
- Parts Come in 2 packages - 84 Pin PGA and 132 Pin QFP. I've been quoteed
  at $44 apiece for the 84 pin part in singles.

The software in on backorder (4 weeks ;-()

Anyway I plan on building lots of cool stuff with it.

So forget Xilinx - Intel's FPGA is definitely for the hobbiest.

Sorry for the long post....

                                       John S Gwynne
                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu