GALs- what are they?

Grant Beattie grantb at nait.ab.ca
Sat Nov 5 05:08:03 GMT 1994

On Fri, 4 Nov 1994 BigBrother at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU wrote:

> What exactly do PALs and GALs do?  They are some
> kind of programmable logic device aren't they?  I checked my

I think what has happened is that vendors refer to Electrically Eraseable
and Reprogrammable PALs as GALs.  Normally with a PAL that needs to be
modified, you throw it away and buy a new one to program.  For instance I
have a PALCE20V8 made by AMD which is elecrically eraseable.

> Jameco catalog and saw they are only $3, but the programmer
> is $700.00.  Wow!  That is pretty expensive.  Do alternative
> programmers exist for less money?

Yes.  For sources on such things as well as single board computers and
evaluation boards you should really check out "Circuit Cellar Ink - The
Computer Applications Journal".  This magazine is chock full of people
using micros to do *real* things.  Also, I'm sure they would be
interested in paying someone to write an article on an EFI project.  The
magazine should be available at any good magazine shop.

GB