Chips

James W. Swonger jws at mlb.semi.harris.com
Mon Nov 7 19:52:44 GMT 1994

 I had an interesting conversation today with a couple of guys from our
Automotive design group. They were down for an "Engineering Excellence
Workshop" and were running a demo of an integrated knock sensor signal
processor. This thing (HIP9010) is controlled by a microprocessor bus
port, and does programmable gain, filtering, windowing and integration.
It produces an analog output voltage for knock amplitude.

 One of the guys had a PC/Windows control demo running the IC against a
simulated sensor knock waveform generated from a digital recording.
Pretty spiffy.

 The designers have very little automotive (i.e. greasy bloody knuckles)
experience; I talked to them for a while about my various mailing list
lurkings and my impressions of the garage tinkering and aftermarket
developments I see ongoing.

 They also had an eval board for the J1850 single wire automotive bus
interface products.

 They seemed apprehensive about opening themselves up to a deluge of
e-mail, but if anybody has the urge to discuss these devices I am
not so shy. I broached the subject of samples to them; I think that
discreet inquiries could be handled, if it doesn't become a scene
from a nature show.