ALDL pinout and data stream on corvette?

Steve=Ravet%Prj=Eng%PCPD=Hou at bangate.compaq.com Steve=Ravet%Prj=Eng%PCPD=Hou at bangate.compaq.com
Thu Nov 10 23:13:57 GMT 1994

Howdy

I'd like some information on the ALDL connector for the Corvette.  The ALDL is
the diagnostic connector on computer controlled GM cars that provides
diagnostic information to a computer.  Info such as rpm, injector duty cycle,
EGO, timing, etc.  I know it's possible to hook a PC up to this and collect
info, because there is a company that sells just such a product (in addition
to GM, of course).  I'd like to write my own software to run on a laptop to do
this.  What I don't know is the pin out of this connector, and the format of
the data stream.  If anyone can tell me this, or point me in the right
direction, I'd be most appreciative.

thanks
--steve