OEM algorithms (DSM)

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Sat Nov 12 00:44:30 GMT 1994

Jim Pieronek writes:

> OK, you got me.  What the heck is a UEGO?  In late '85 I left GM for
> my current job, which does not involve engines.

It's an oxygen sensor that is accurate from about 10:1 to 20:1 AFR
with gasoline.  We paid $900 for a spare from Horiba back in '93.
I think the cost of the box to read it plus the original sensor
was around $10k back in 92.  Program the box with the a couple
of ratios to reepresent the makeup of the fuel, and it reads out
AFR to two decimal places.  It will also display in Lambda.

> I never saw any docs on the heads-up display either.  As I recall,
> there was a location in ECM memory that the software could look at to
> see where the thumbwheel (a pot) was set.  There were also some
> digital inputs.

There were several BNC connectors on the big black box, never found out
what those were for.

> This all brings back a lot of old war stories about that job, like the
> time we got a catalytic converter so hot that the carpeting melted and
> smoked... and several hand-made engines that we wrecked... what fun
> that all was.

Never smoked the carpet, but I did disentigrate my lightoff cats
in '93.   COre was just GONE, no trace...

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://frank.mtsu.edu:8001/~lusky/          (615) 726-8700