gcc, 68K and ignition advance

Wouter de Waal wrm at aztec.co.za
Wed Nov 30 09:40:54 GMT 1994

On Tue, 29 Nov 1994 Steve=Ravet%Prj=Eng%PCPD=Hou at bangate.compaq.com wrote:

[ r.e. my gcc port ]

> Post this, and send it to fridman at cpsc.ucalgary.ca so he can put it on the WWW
> server.  Am I glad someone finally did this!  I've been meaning to do it under

As soon as I get the stuff in a distributable form, I will.

> Anyway, I don't think cross-compilers are pre-built anywhere, and if they are,
> they probably don't exist for DOS, since the FSF code doesn't support DOS.

FSF supports DJGPP, which is a DOS extender. All FSF stuff can (well
most) be ported to DJGPP. gcc is the DJGPP compiler.

> is there really a site called ftp.pooh.com?

Yes. Somewhere in California, I think. And they _do_ have a copy of gcc
targeted to 68k and running under MSDOS.

Would somebody out there that is also interested in compiling 68k code
from DOS grab the files from pooh and check them out? If they work better
than my setup, I would recommend using them. What _I_ intend doing (RSN)
is applying the Cygnus patches for embedded applications to gcc, and then
porting the patched version to MSDOS. This might be better than the pooh
compiler, but I don't know exactly what the pooh stuff does. So somebody,
check it out and let us know please!

Thanks for the rest of the comments, appreciated.