VW airflow (!)

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.oz.au
Wed Nov 30 23:03:50 GMT 1994

> > what kind of engine can pull 950 liters/sec?
>
> VW 1700. No big deal. All aircooled VWs suck about that much air, the 950
> liters/sec at 6000rpm comes straight from the manual. You need a _lot_ of
> air to keep these babies cool at high ambient temperatures.

They probably draw 950 l/sec of *cooling* air, and I'm no mech.eng.,
but 6000 rpm = 100  revs/second. Therefore 950/100 = 9.5l/rotation.
9.5l/1.7l (*100%) = 550% V.E.

Assuming the average V.E. for a worked normally aspirated engine
is 75% (guesstimate), you might shove in that much air with a turbo
pushing around 100 psi., and making about 700+ hp.

I think there's a typo in the manual. 95.0 l/sec would be beleivable.

Craig.

(no flame intended)