Processor selection for datalogger

sdbartho at cca.rockwell.com sdbartho at cca.rockwell.com
Mon Oct 3 17:30:40 GMT 1994

Hiy'all

I've decided to build a datalogging device to be used on a '91 GMC Syclone
with a P4 ECM. Rather than spend gobs of time reverse-engineering the ALDL
stream (It doesn't really tell me all I want to know anyway), I'm planning
on building a small A/D device that would send a serial output to a laptop
PC.

I've looked at the 68HC11 to handle the A/D and counter functions that I'll
need, but I don't think it has enough resolution for my application. I'm
going to use a combination of the stock and aftermarket sensors, so my voltage
ranges will be kinda all over the place.

The thing I really liked about the '11 was the readily available tools, and
it's cheap too.

Any recommendations?  What I'm really looking for is a hi-res 68HC11. A few more
counter inputs would be nice too.

Thanks

Dig
sdbartho at hwking.cca.rockwell.com