Water Injection?

Bohdan.L.Bodnar at att.com Bohdan.L.Bodnar at att.com
Mon Oct 24 22:16:13 GMT 1994

If one is patient, water injection can be used to decarbonize cylinders.
The pertinent reaction is something like: C + H2O -> CO + H2.  Both are then
burned in the oxidation section of the catalytic converter.  I tried this
once, with limited success.  I also also totally coked an O2 sensor this way!
Although I replaced the sensor, I was told that it probably would be as good
as new if I had driven the car on a highway for a few hundred miles (no
problem in my case -- LONG highway commute each day).

The procedure I used (which, I was told, was far too conservative and slow)
was to run the engine (2.3 liters carbureted in 1986 Mustang) around 1500 RPM
and, using a squirt bottle, gently squirt about one quart of tap water into the
carburetor.

I suppose if I had more time on my hands, I'd get around to doing this again
on the Mustang.  As it is, I'm almost as well off burning premium fuel and
ensuring my EGR system is fully operational.

Regards,

Bohdan Bodnar