Intro message

Dirk Broer OADDAB at abacus.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 26 14:44:05 GMT 1994

Subj:	Various comments

>My requirements are that I can use the system at home to play with, as
>well as in the car. This means that I have some widely separate requirements,
>such as an IDE interface and possibly VGA, at least Hercules display, and
>a PC keyboard port. And DRAM. On the other hand I want battery backed up

Go with a serial port - stick to ANSI conventions and use any VT100 or a PC /
Laptop with emulation software.  The serial port must be interrupt driven and
for simplicity use XON/XOFF hand shaking (so you can use old / cheap vt100's)

Also consider writing a bootstrap program that will accept code accross the
serial port - when you have the right code - then reburn the prom without the
bootstrap - but with the correct code.

For bootstrap - look into the requirements for Borland's Turbo C remote
debugger.  Perhaps you can make it work with the 68000.  As far as I know the
Borland interface is the easiest / best way to debug embedded systems (at least
intel based).

Dirk