Answer to: What is a kernel?

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Fri Oct 28 00:52:45 GMT 1994

>  Of course, waiting on a locked semaphore is also expensive, but that
>  doesn't really count.

Actually, that was what I was talking about.

>  What I don't understand is where the names for 'p' and 'v' came from....

Ugh, I used to know exactly...  basically the person who invented 'p' and 'v'
was not a native enlish speaker, those are the first letters of the
words for "wait" and "signal" in the language where he lived.

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://frank.mtsu.edu:8001/~lusky/          (615) 455-9915