sensor vendors (really distributor parts)

Dirk Broer OADDAB at abacus.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 8 16:40:19 GMT 1994

>Not exactly sensors, but I'm looking for cheap ways to update the Lucas
>distributors in my cars. It seems really wrong to have a modern
>ignition system that's triggered by breaker points, and downright
>stupid to buy one of the optical slitter systems just to do point replacement.

>Surely some of the modern reluctor/hall effect distributors have parts
>that can be reused; has anyone done the homework? I'm interested in
>both 4 and 6 cylinder solutions.

Well Mallory makes a breakerless conversion kit for GM's and Ford's.  This is
of course only for the common v-8's.... but looking at the picture of parts in
the Jeg's catalog I don't see any wheel.  Perhaps with modification of the
mouniting of the hardware this could be used.  The cost is about $90 mail order
.  A good speed shop might allow you to look at the parts before you buy it.  I
bet the big problem would be fitting everything under the cap.

Other than that - most Hall effect distributers have a toothed wheel rather
than the relatively flat wheel that point ignition systems use.  A little
machine work and you could make your own - then get a pickup from any GM system
and use a GM control module - mount the GM control module on the outside of the
distributer to a heat sink and you should be O.K.  Sounds do-able but may
require some machine work and some careful comparison of specs - like shaft
diameter etc.

Dirk