Engine Models for Control

Mike Gruber mgruber at maxwell.ee.washington.edu
Fri Sep 9 06:52:47 GMT 1994

Mike:

	I was lucky to run into someone here (at the
University of Washington) who worked for GM and other
corporations doing injection work.  He turned me on
to a Ph.D. thesis done by a friend of his at M.I.T.,
who is now on the faculty at the University of
Wisconsin.  This thesis will give you an idea of what
is possible to model and how.  It is pretty complicated,
and on my own injection system I am using no dynamic
model, simply a lookup table based on manifold pressure
and rpm.  This basic value is then compensated for air
temp, throttle position, and etc.  The thesis is:

	"Automotive Engine Modeling for
	       Real Time Control"

	It is written by John J. Moskwa.  I'd try to
get it by contacting him through the mechanical
engineering department at U of Wisconsin.  He may be
able to tell you where to get it, or he may send you
a copy (If you pay the copier charge, of course).

				Hope this helps,

				Mike Gruber