EFI for a Mini

Jim Buchanan c22jrb at kopt0002.delcoelect.com
Mon Apr 24 12:02:54 GMT 1995

Andrew Hay:

> Andrei Chichak said:
>
>       Many moons ago, I believe, Steven Ciciora suggested that I try  a
>       Bosch  CIS   system with the swinging gate metering system.  This
>       is quite a good suggestion if you had access to injectors of  the
>       appropriate  size.   The  problem  comes in with the weird intake
>       system that a Mini has.  Cylinders 1 and 2 share an  intake  port
>       and  3 and 4 share the other.  This makes for 180 degrees between
>       intake cycles then a quiescent period of 360 degrees.  With a CIS
[...]
> you could weld tabs to the intake that would stick into the head and
> effectively divide the siamesed ports.  it's been done before, i think
> with some of the detroit engines of the '50s.

Not a bad idea, but would it affect air flow? (I'm not at all familiar with
this engine, let alone the details of the engine and it's head/manifold.)

How about putting all four CIS injectors in a plenum under the throttle
body (a plenum is required for K-jetronic anyway). You might not get ideal
mixture distribution, but it would still be better than a carb (finer
atomization). Lots of Detroit products do fine with single-point injection
and still manage to run better than their ancestors with carburetors.

Not ideal, but probably less work than the alternative.

Jim Buchanan        c22jrb at kopt0002.delcoelect.com     jbuchana at holli.com
"Some people will tell you that slow is good-and it might be on some
 days-but I am here to tell you fast is better. I've always believed this
 in spite of the trouble it's caused me." -Hunter Thomson