Injection & Compression Ratios

Gordon Couger gcouger at agen.okstate.edu
Sat Apr 29 01:05:48 GMT 1995

In WWII it was common to use water injection to prevent detonation.

I am not sure but I believe that propane can run without detonation at
17 to 1 or better. You have to run propane on the rich side to keep
from melting down your combustion chamber and valves. High horse power
ag tractor engins have real serious problems with exsuast valve cooling.

Running an engin on both propane and gasoline has been done with good
results this might help you to run a higher compression ratio. You could
carburate the propane in the intake are and inject the gasoline. The way
it was done in pickups was to use a Holly carb that had sepreate float
chambers and plumbing for the front and back barrels and only shut of
the gasoline to the front two barrels and leave the back two working on
propane just like they did on gasoline.

Guys that were pulling trailers liked this combo.

Gordon