Turbos

MLF fran0054 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Sat Apr 29 23:09:56 GMT 1995

Giles wrote:
>does anyone know of a similar list with dicussions about turbos?

There is a very good (but a little old now) book on turbos by someone named
Hugh McGinnis (spelling?).  He is a mechanical engineer so it is
technically pretty accurate, but he writes so even I can understand it.

>and is there any way of determining if an engine is capable of taking a
>turbo except by putting one on and seeing if the exhaust valve melts or what?
Sorry its not EFI related.)

One thing to check is the number of main bearings supporting the
crankshaft.  An inline four or V8 should have five from what I've heard.
If it is a really old design, and has only three, you are hosed -- then
look for a newer design engine to swap and adapt in.  There are other
limitations, like head gasket reliability...   Also, you wouldn't have to
crank the snot out of the boost right away.  Gradually build up and see
what it can handle.  There are probably aftermarket exhaust (and intake)
valves available made with premium alloys to handle that stress.

Matt