Engine dyno for EFI project

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Tue Aug 8 01:27:39 GMT 1995

Bruce Bowling writes:

> I had an idea a while back, but never followed up on it.  Why not use a
> calibrated alternator for a load device?  For instance, when you turn
> on the headlights, the engine RPMs drop down a small amount.  This
> drop is caused by the alternator "sucking" up some of the total
> energy delivered by the engine.  If one kept a constant current
> draw on an alternator, a table of rotational torque vs. RPM can be created.
> Even easier if one wants only relative power improvements:  make
> switchable load that can be electrically switched on and off the
> alternator (ie. alternator has either no load at all, or a fixed
> electrical load), at at a given no alternator load RPM, switch
> on the alternator load and watch the RPM drop and save this drop.
> Now, after a engine modification, repeat the above - better engine
> power means lower delta RPM (I think).

A standard 60amp automotive alternator can absorb about 2HP I think.
Not much use for an autmotive dyno..

We had a 250HP Eaton Eddy Current dyno at UTexas.  The absorber was a
giant DC generator that took up about twice as much space as my small
block Chevy did.  Water cooled, too.  And the associated power
electronics filled up three 3'x8'x3' cabinets.

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://www.edge.net/~lusky/                 (615) 726-8700