Engine dyno for EFI reqs 450-500hp

robert dingli r.dingli at ee.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 9 01:44:04 GMT 1995

Hello again,

> All,
> 	Great comments on engine dyno's, much thanks!
> Many asked what our requirements are.
>
> -Target HP for the engine we are building is 400HP (turbo, Efi ~114 oct gas,
> 	ESC.)
> -Engine is for a drag car, however, typically we are only able to get
> 	3-4 passes in before racing starts, this does not provide as much
> 	of an opportunity for tuning the engine as I'm sure we will initially
> 	need as we bring an EFI system online from the ground up.

Since the engine is for drag racing and will only produce power in short
spurts, then a water brake or eddy current dyno of lower static capacity
would suffice providing the connection is strong enough and that you
gave it time to cool between runs.  It's not uncommon to get an air cooled
eddy current rotor glowing red hot.

> -Would like to be able to do static RPM as well as transient testing.
> -From your comments it seems a water brake may be the best way to go, however
>         the transmission torque converter idea seems interesting as well???
>         Can they absorb the power/heat reliably?

I don't know the specifics of using a torque convertor - it was just an idea
I had.  As someone else pointed out, this may prove to be an unfeasable
method.

> Can anyone recommend some reading for dyno testing strategies (I'm not familiar
> with the motoring technique that Robert Dingli mentioned)?  Books, SAE papers,
> articles, etc...  So far I've been unable to find any significant text on this
> topic, I will be contacting the dyno mfgs that Jeff and Anthony Tsakiris
> mentioned ASAP.

Motoring is when the dyno actually forces the engine to turn over.  It is
used for simulating the inertial effects of a car when the throttle is
released and the car is coasting with the engine acting as a brake.

You won't have to worry about this for your application.

> Thanks and Best Regards,
> 			Dave.

Robert Dingli

             Robert Dingli           r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au

Power and Control Systems                 Thermodynamics Research Lab
Electrical Engineering                    Mechanical Engineering
   (+613) 9344 7966                          (+613) 9344 6728
  University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3052, Victoria, AUSTRALIA