Engine dyno for EFI project

Frank_Marrone at optilink.optilink.dsccc.com Frank_Marrone at optilink.optilink.dsccc.com
Wed Aug 9 17:30:15 GMT 1995

On Aug 8,  7:43pm, Dave Williams wrote:
> Subject: Re: Engine dyno for EFI project

>  We hashed through a lot of this on the hotrod list a couple of years
> ago.  The cheapest, simplest, most accurate system you could reasonably
> build at home would use a ducted aircraft propeller as the power
> absorber, with moving panels to control inlet air.

What about jet type boat prop?  A friend and I kicked this idea around about a
year ago.  You could bypass around the prop to get some load control.  There
are variable pitch models as well.  You need a water resovoir but an above
ground pool with appropriate baffeling could do the trick.  We also thought
that a houseboat model would be cool.  We'll build the dyno room on the boat
and go to the local lake.  We could butt up against one of the bridge pylons
for a test session in between cruising the lake.

Jet props are wonderfully ineffeicient and it should be no problem to get one
to eat 300 to 400 HP.  The pool might boil after a while but the lake would
provide a near infinite sink.

Frank Marrone at marrone at optilink.dsccc.com
1965 Sunbeam Tiger B9471116
1960 Sumbean Pintopine Series I B9009330
1966 Ford LTD 4-door family barge.