In-Car Dynomometers

Brian Lane blane at guetech.com
Fri Aug 11 07:43:38 GMT 1995

  For anyone interested in in-car dynos you should check out the January
1990 issue of Hot Rod Magazine (you do have years of back issues, don't
you?).

  The article in there details the Banks Intertial Dynomometer. Due to
various things, it was never released. It is a drag-horsepower dyno,
giving you the real amount of HP your vehicle produces after factoring in
frictional and air drag.

  The device is covered by a patent (4,603,582). There is a product on
the market, but I can't remember the company that is producing it. It is
out of Seattle, Wa, and is called Dyno-something-or-other.

  The prototype I have is 0-200MPH, 0-1000HP, and works well on my dinkly
little 80HP 2.5l S-10 engine. I've also seen it in action in a 350HP
Banks turbocharged Camaro.

  These dynos are different than the car-computers like the VC200. The
VC200 measures time and distance I believe and do all of the calculations
after the fact. With the inertial dyno you get realtime horsepower!

  If anyone is interested, I'll try to get the name and address of the
company who is currently producing the dynos.

  Or, if you have an accurate enough accelerometer, you could probably
figure out how to roll your own (1/100 of a G would probably work, 1/1000
of a G acceleration accuracy is probably best).

   Brian