Sensor Specifications

John T Stein JSTEIN at dpc2.hdos.hac.com
Fri Aug 11 19:36:41 GMT 1995

On 8-10, Thomas Ennis Bragg Jr wrote:

> Where would I be able to find technical specifications on GM sensors
> like voltage and current levels, etc?
>
> I need this info for TPS, CTS, MAP, MAT, O2 from an 87 Pontiac Sunbird Turbo.
> But any info would help out.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ennis
> --
> Ennis Bragg
> gt9803a at prism.gatech.edu

The following describe the sensors on my '87 Fiero, from other
experience with GM products I would expect these ranges to be
typical of most product from GM.

TPS - This is a potentiometer between gnd and +5 volts.  Output
ranges from ~0 at closed-throttle to ~5v at WOT.  Closed throttle
offset from 0 is not critical as the ECM "learns" where closed
throttle is.

CTS and MAT - These are voltage outputs from bridges in which a
negative-tempco thermistor is pulled up to +5 volts.  Resistance of
the thermistor ranges from hundreds of k-ohms in the cold to hundreds
of ohms in the hot.  to complicate matters, my Fiero switches the
value of the pullup resistance once the coolant temperature exceeds
about 100 degrees to widen the temperature range where the bridge
scale factor (volts/degree) is large enough to use.  Output is VERY
nonlinear, but so what, I assuem the ECM has a look-up table.  I have
calibrated the sensors on my Fiero and can give you some details if
you're interested.

MAP - Outputs a signal which ranges from~0 to ~+5 volts. Pontiac has
used (at least) two different MAP processors in the past, for one 0
volts corresponds to atmospheric pressure, in the other ~5 volts
correpsonds to atmosphere.  My Fiero uses the second type MAT
processor.

O2 - A very high impedance source that ranges from ~-0 volt when lean
to ~1 volt when rich.  Output characteristic makes "step" transition
from 0 to 1 volt at ~stoichiometric ratio.  Look at the archive for
this mail list for thorough, and good, discussion of the O2 sensor
operation.

John