Build or Buy?

n.mulvana N.Mulvana at electronic-engineering.hull.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 09:10:24 GMT 1995

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, Danny Wallace wrote:

> Hi all,
> Please excuse if this has been discussed - just point me to the
> archives.
> I'm in the early stages of my EFI project and am trying to decide
> whether to start completely from scratch with cct design and
> board layout OR buy a commercial microController card - probably
> using a 8051.
Hi,
I have been involved in a EFI related project using the 8051 family of
microcontrollers which I started from scratch so I thought I would just put
my two pennyworth in.
my project was actually a fuel computer but some points are relevant!
It all depends on how 'deep' you are prepared to go with the project as
to whether you buy commercial units or not, there is agreat sense of
achievement to be had in designing from the ground upwards, but if most
of your experience is in software programming with little hardware design
you will probably be better buying a commercial unit.
 > Does anybody have any suggestions or warnings about
trying to
> build from scratch.  Is it a waste of time?  I've never layed out
> a micro processor/controller board so am not sure if the layout
> will be so critical that timings etc will be a nightmare?  If
in my opinion it is not a waste of time but if you have not done it
before,it is quite task to produce a board for a large project, you could
cut quite a lot of the hard work out by using a chip with built-in A to D
such as the philips 80C552 or the one I used was the siemens 80C537,
the layout should not be too critical - try to keep the crystal and
associated capacitors close to the microcontroller and use plenty of
decoupling on addressing chips etc.,
 > anybody has done their own PC board -
what method did you
use - > photographic, just provide the layout to a commercial firm (this
> seems expensive for prototypes or one offs).  Any thoughts most
> appreciated..
I made my own PC board using a CAD package and some photgraphic
equipment but I am in the
fortunate position that we make PCB's at work - the only thing I can
suggest is to talk to local schools/colleges/universitys and ask if the
have the equipment to produce a one-off PCB (for a small fee that is)
as you are correct in stating a commercial firm would be very expensive
for a one off.
hope this helps in some way if you need any more info regarding the above
points feel free to email me.