Manifold Selection

Markus Strobl etxmst at sta.ericsson.se
Thu Aug 24 08:15:32 GMT 1995

> Hello,
>
> Which is preferable for a 355 CI 350 HP engine, the standard TPI system
> or the LT1 engine manifold system?
> My cam degrees are 208 in, 221 exh @ 0.05 lift, lift max 0.51" in,
> 0.474" exh. Dart2 Sportsman heads with 2" and 1.6" valves. With
> corvette heads the cam would peak torque at 3200 RPM & HP at 5850 RPM.
>
> Is the corvette ECU needed to run the LT1 manifold? Would the corvette
> ECU "like" my heads and cam?
>
> TIA
>
> Eric Elliott

Hi Eric,

The stock TPI is set up for low end torque, and the LT1 FI is set
up more for high rpm hp. Most TPI owners I've talked to report
power peaks below 5000rpm, and 5500rpm shiftpoints. But the TPI
definetely makes more low end grunt (great for tire shredding!)

Both setups should work with your cam and heads, although the
2"/1.6" valves are a little big for a low rpm TPI setup. But
note that there is alot of aftermarket stuff for the TPI that
would open it up at high rpm.

Markus