Next question: Fuel pumps....

Dixon Cole dcole at austin.ibm.com
Thu Aug 31 15:13:42 GMT 1995

Well, I think I have the solution to my injector problem (Thanks Kent!).

So here's my next problem:

I need a small, low-current-draw, high pressure, low (relatively) volume fuel
pump/system.

Engine is a 600cc single cylinder motorcycle engine with 8000 max rpm.  Fuel
demands work out to about 33 lbs/hour.  Current plan is to use 2 19lb injectors
from a Mustang.

Most (all?) automotive systems circulate fuel to the regulator and back to
the tank.  This idea seems great for keeping the fuel cool and allowing
quick response to larger fuel demands (less inertia of fuel in the line to
overcome).  My problem is that I don't have a lot of current available for
the injection system and I'm trying to save a few mA here and there (engine
is on a Honda XR600R dirt bike).  I don't want to put too big of a pump
in the system and waste current pumping a lot of fuel through the system.
Are there any guidelines to follow for sizing fuel systems?

Sorry to be such an information drain.  Maybe when I get my system running
I can return the favors.

Thanks for your help!
Dixon