AC "rapid fire" spark plugs

Daniel R Burk ws6transam at voyager.net
Fri Dec 1 00:06:18 GMT 1995

>Has anyone on the list had any experience with the "Rapid Fire" spark
>plugs advertised by AC Delco??  The advertising I have heard claims
>smoother idle, more power, etc, etc.  Do they work or are they more
>snake oil of the "Splitfire" variety?
>

>Thanks,
>
>John

I'm using them right now.  I paid $4.99 each at the dealership for them
and have about 3,000 or 4,000 miles on them.  I replaced a set of Bosch
Platinums with these plugs, and noticed a purely qualitative and very
subjective change in part-throttle acceleration.  I would attribute this
more to the 25,000 miles of wear on my Bosch platinums with bronzeish-beige
colored build-up on the ceramic.

Gas milage has increased by less than five percent.  I do not see any real
benefits to these plugs other than the slight change in exhaust-sound that
kind of suggests less mis-fires during acceleration.  Very very very hard
to quantify!!  The gas milage figure, as well, is within the change (1 MPG)
that can be attributed to weather changes and/or changed driving habits.

I say, stick to Bosch Platinums.  They are a buck and a half cheaper per
plug and THAT, sir, is something that you CAN quantify!

(30% better idle?  What's better? Better sound? Less vibration? compared to
what?  100,000 mile old Champions in a '81 Regal? Don't fall for it 'cause
its just an age old marketing trick just like 'new-and-improved')

---Dan