efi on ancient engine

Mike Rigby-Jones mike at cooper.zynet.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 21:00:39 GMT 1995

I don't know if any of you guys have had any experience with the A-series
engine as used in the mini.  For those of you who haven't its an ancient
design with an iron block, three bearing crank and a five port head (two
siamesed inlet ports, one siamesed exhaust port and two single exhaust port).

In order to get any reasonable power out of it the cam has to be of silly
duration (300 degrees plus) with huge compression ratios (13:1).  The latest
cam design is known as a scatter profile.  This has different timing on the
centre two cylinders to the outer two to compensate for the differences in
the ports (inners have siamesed exhaust).

What I want to know is does anyone manufacture an efi system that can give
differnt fuel delivery and spark timings to different cylinders?  (The
distributor gives timming scatter but its not very predictable ;-)

On a more technical note, I have had a look at the diy-efi system running on
the PC.  This clarified the general operation of fuel injection considerably
and I would quite like to have a go at a stand alone system.  However it is
mapped ignition that really appeals to me and I am unsure as to how this
operates.  Does it use hardware timers as per fuel injection but with
software to convert angles to time?

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated or even a pointer to the
best book on the subject (preferably something reasonably technical)

Cheers all

Mike Rigby-Jones
| A tuned engine is like sex...      |
| A few seconds of frenzied activity |