EST

thomas walter x5955 walter at roadster.sps.mot.com
Sat Dec 9 13:09:09 GMT 1995

> Has anybody tried a crank only system that uses a software scheme to detect
> #1 TDC?

Haven't seen it... seems the Saab system with the sensor could do that
(i.e. if spark did not occur, rotate crank another 360 degrees.. check
for spark).

If the big three could save $3 per vehicle (delete the cam sensor),
seems like it would be in place. ;-)

While on the subject of ignition at cranking... With some engines is
not uncommon to get a "kick back" at cranking, with the engine just
starting to rock backwards. How do we detect for this? ;-) [My high
compression 4 does just this... need to tap the starter quite a few
times for it to start].

Another trick: In Europe it is common to KILL the engine at stop lights.
Little sweep hand on the red light shows you when the next "green" cycle
will occur... giving you time to restart the engine. VW has a system,
controlled by software, that detects a WARM engine, stopped at a light...
push the clutch down. Engine is cut.(shift in Neutral). When you next
push down on the clutch, the engine will apply SPARK to the cylinder it
sensed was last PAST TDC. Engine will "pop,pop, vroom" and off you go again!
[Just a neat software hack]

Tom Walter
Austin, TX