Playing with the ECM

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Fri Dec 15 15:55:36 GMT 1995

ws6transam at voyager.net (Daniel R Burk) Wrote:

| >Markus Strobl <eusmsrt at exu.ericsson.se> has written:
| >
| ><snip>
| >
| >> Second subject: I own a '96 Camaro with the LT1. The service manual I
| >> read was for a friends '95. GM did alot of changes for '96 to
| >> comply with OBDII. My owners manual says that the ECM now detects
| >> misfires, and will flash the service engine light if it detects a
| >> misfire. The '96 also has 4 (!) O2 sensors (dual cat), to detect
| >> catcon degradation.
| >
| >> Does anyone have any info on OBDII? Ie how much can the engine be
| >> modified before the ECM tilts? Can the ECM be modified, or can
| >> it be fooled be changing the sensor readings? Any info appreciated.
| >
| ><snip>
|
| Marcus:  Before you modify your ECM let me tell you about a little
conversation
| I have had with a GM engineer who actually worked in ECM design.
|
| GM will be designing their new vcm (vehicle control module) with
anti-tampering
| software.  There are three levels of information available on the new
vcm:
|         1) general engine diagnostics (freely available to scan tools)
|         2) dealership functions (like clearing the trouble codes)
|         3) emissions functions ( fuel maps, shift maps, ignition timing)
|
| As you can guess, level two will be only available to authorized service
| personnel.  Level three will be protected from modifications from
everyone
| except GM.
|
| If someone like me, or you, or Hypertech, tries to gain access and change
level
| three type of information in the new '97 VCM, and does not have the
correct
| access code the FIRST TIME, the VCM will lock itself down into a
| non-functional unit that cannot be restarted except by engineers at
Delco!!

| Yup, it sucks don't it?
|
| I asked the engineer "Why!?"  and he replied it is because of liability
| concerns that GM is implementing this type of security.
|
| --- Thought you would like to know that I am going to buy me a used '95
or '96
| in a few years.  I don't want the '97 anymore.
|
| ---Dan

I'd be interested in hearing that conversation.  The EPA published a rule
in the Federal Register Aug 9 1995 that basically deals with what
information has to be on the OBD bus.  Anything emissions related must be
present and compliant with OBD-II specs so that any generic scan tool can
read it.  In addition, *any* information relating to the diagnosis or
repair of OBD systems that is available to dealers must also be made
available to the general public.  Finally, manufacturers must have
provisions for reprogramming ECMs in the interest of emissions related
repair.  Since dealers have to know how to reprogram ECMs, the
manufacturers will have to make that info available to everyone else.  The
catch is, they can make it available "indirectly", in the form of a device
that does the reprogramming, without telling people how it's actually done.

This conversation happened just this week somewhere else (on the efi332
list?) so sorry if this is a repeat...

The bottom line is, keeping independant shops (and owners) from being able
to repair their own cars is anti-competitive behavior.

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...