MGB

Peter Wales pjwales at magicnet.net
Sat Dec 23 14:46:08 GMT 1995

I need to know what level of electronics design and assembly you are at.
Don't be modest, give it to me straight and it will help me give you the
right ideas.

The Starion air mass meter was fitted to every Starion and Conquest ever
made anywhere in the world from 83 to whenever they stopped. I believe a lot
of other Mitsubish turbo cars were fitted with it as well, all from the same
era. In a junk yard you need to remove the whole airbox and disconnect it
from the loom. I believe the air box is fixed with 2 bolts through the
fender wall.

If you must stay with one injector, it needs to be sized pretty accurately.
How much power do you expect from the engine -  125HP?

I think someone on the list will be able to calculate an injector size for us.

Now, the system I am proposing is radically different in operation from the
normal EFI. Normal EFI injects once per firing stroke if sequential, and
twice if batch fired, and the injection pulse width varies from 2 to 20 mS.
This system will inject faster as the air speed increases and the pulse
width wil be constant. It will be adjustable, but as your basic mixture control.

The air mass meter will give out a train of pulses which increases in speed
as more air is drawn though it. In theory each  certain amount of air
requires a certain amount of fuel, so you count the number of pulses and
give a squirt from the injector. Then it doesn't matter what the engine is
doing, if it is using air, it is getting the mixture in the correct
proportions. This will run the car fine.

The fine tuning ie cold starts, battery voltage compensation etc, need to be
done to make the vehicle an everyday practical proposition, and exactly how
you do this will depend on you electronic skills. However, you should be
able to get the whole system working nicely for $50 plus the air meter ($100
or less?)

Peter Wales
President Superchips Inc
Chairman Superchips Ltd        "Timing is everything"