O2 sensors

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Sat Dec 23 23:06:09 GMT 1995

Yo:

I need some info on oxygen sensors...  I have installed two O2 sensors
in my  header  collectors  (350  V8).    These are attached to two LED
bargraph meters for monitoring purposes  only  at  this  point.    The
readings  I  get  from the sensors are not really agreeing with what I
see from engine operation.

The  sensors show basically full lean (<100 mV) at almost all throttle
openings, which I cannot see because the engine runs fine, has lots of
power, etc.  The engine has 30000 mi  with  no  problems,  if  it  was
actually running this lean it would have eaten head gaskets or pistons
long before  now.    The  only time I really get a change in O2 sensor
output is under deceleration (throttle fully closed)  at  which  point
the bargraphs show full rich (>950 mV).

I'm wondering if it could be one of two problems:

1. the O2 sensor is not reaching full operating temperature because it
is in the header collector which is some  distance  from  the  exhaust
port...

With  regards  to  point  1, what is the advantage of the newer heated
oxygen sensors used on some systems? Is the heating  circuit  strictly
to  improve  response  time on startup and allow the EFI to run closed
loop sooner, or is it something different  altogether?    Would  using
heated O2 sensors correct this condition if this is the problem?

2. the  engine  is running on propane fuel, is it possible that the O2
sensor is not  responding  with  the  correct  reading  for  rich/lean
because of the different stoich point for propane...

With regards to this point, if this is the case,  is  it  possible  to
correct  the  O2  sensor  output  to  reflect the correct voltage with
alternative  fuels  such  as  propane?  Any info on how to calculate a
correction factor (if necessary) would be appreciated.

regards
dn

--
\/ Darrell A. Norquay                   Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca      /\