Carb vs. EFI

jim_brady at ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov jim_brady at ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 26 16:05:01 GMT 1995

     Derrick (Early),
        I have been receiving Hot Rod for a few years now and found that
     article interesting.  I truly believe they were mostly interested in
     quarter mile et's.  While a carbuerator is considerably cheaper and
     very effective at the Drags, the versitility and efficiency of the EFI
     (particularly TPI) is unparalled.  I have the '63 Chevy on the DYI_EFI
     web site.  It is carbuerated (because of cost) but eventually I will
     install a late model TPI unit for better gas mileage and consistent
     performance.  Having a fast V-8 is AWESOME but when your filling that
     tank with 93 octane (10.5:1 compression) you want every drop used as
     efficiently as possible.  Hot Rod also had special on aftermarket EFI
     units in the April '94 edition.  So, if your drag racing the expense
     of fuel injection is a bit extravagant but for every day cruisability
     fuel injection is worth the initial investment.

     MTaylor,
        I subscribe to PHR, Car Craft and Hot Rod.  Hot Rod has stated the
     reason for their Chevy bias:  a majority of street rodders drive
     Chevys.  I love them all!  I have a Ford Pickup and find it far
     superior to Chevrolets offerings.  The basics are the same no matter
     what badge your vehicle wears.

     Has anyone out there retrofitted TPI for early model vehicles?  Any
     info would be appreciated.

     Diamond Jim Brady
     '63 Chevy  '71 Ford Pickup  '92 Grand AM