Hack thought for MAS system???

Merlin drwho at connectnet.com
Fri Dec 29 03:44:24 GMT 1995

>I would like to enter a secondary air source down stream from the MAS
>so more air is entered into the system which will be unmetered.  As I
>see it the vaccum from the engine will pull from both air sources at
>the same rate at any given r.p.m.  To compensate for the lean
>condition(s) that would result I would install larger injectors. I
>think a larger injector would provide more fuel at a given pulse width
>thereby compensating for the extra airflow.  Now how bad would the pre
>programed fuel curves handle this setup?  I can see the ECU able to
>compensate for a idle and minor fuel difficientsies by input from the
>O2 sensor.  This hack would also eliminate the fuel cut that is
>experienced by turbo charged vehicles when the MAS detects too much air
>entering the system.  Matching the injectors to the air flow would be
>the next problem.

By adding air after the MAS (is that a speed density system or a mass
system?) I would assume you would use the same diameter/flow intake as the
MAF, thus you might effectively halve the reading the reading the MAS
sends....running lean. It might be far easier just to increase the size of
the sensor by using a Hitachi type MAF (if your car is mass based) from a
Mustang, Mustang Cobra, Thunderbird, etc. That should flow enough air for
over 300hp, then just have someone or yourself redo the tables to take in
account for a lower voltage reading.

Your going to run into problems by "leaking" air into the system after the
sensor knows about it, maybe you can cut off the extra air flow by putting
some sort of door on it...like a secondary throttle body. Hondas have
problems with idle and low speed driveability when they have extra air that
the speed density ecu doesnt know about.