Seeking opinions on an idea...

ShempMoDin at aol.com ShempMoDin at aol.com
Sat Dec 30 23:19:09 GMT 1995

Hi all, I got an idea that I'd like to get some opinions on before I waste
some more of my precious few brain cells on it.

I'm considering installing EFI into a 1962 Alfa Romeo Spider, primarily for
reliability and a mild boost in performance at higher rpm.  Currently, the
car has a single tiny downdraft Solex carb (ugh).  My idea is to hack a
simple EFI using some components of the Alfa Spica mechanical fuel injection.
 For those unfamiliar with the system, it was adapted for gasoline use from a
diesel injection system, with a crank driven pump to feed mechanical
injectors at about 300psi.  It used a number of mechanical linkages as inputs
to determine the stroke length of the pistons in the FI pump, thus determing
the amount of fuel delivered via the injectors.  It operates in open loop
mode (obviously) with inputs for throttle postion, engine rpm, and engine
temp.

In the 62, though, under hood space is pretty tight.  I would just adapt a
later Alfa Bosch system, but I seriously doubt my ability to squeeze the MAF
and related ductwork under the hood.  The Spica injection manifold is a nice
piece, four throttle plates for four intake runners, each feeding a separate
cylinder.  The injection pump, though, is too large and has a reputation for
unreliability without meticulous maintenance.

Thus, my idea.  I'd use the Spica manifold, replace the mechanical injectors
with EFI injectors, tack on a throttle position sensor, a temperature sensor,
and a lead off the tach into some kind of simple box running in open loop
mode.  In your opinions, is this feasable.  If so, any ideas as to
difficulty?  Any suggestions for improvements?

                              - Paul Witek