LOTS_O_HP'S

robert joseph dingli r.dingli at ee.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Feb 1 01:49:58 GMT 1995

Hi Mike

as someone who has driven around daily with a custom HC11 based EFI/ignition
system for about two years, I thought I'd point out a couple of things

>         I want to utilize a air mass meter (I can get them for around $100).
> I plan on using this system on other vehicles.  MAP sensors a very
> particular. Once a program is written for a certain application (the boat),
> the system would not work on another system (a car).

I recommend using the MAP sensor for your application.  If you are programming
the system yourself then a nice user interface allowing on-line adjustments
is a must and thus you shouldn't have any problems readjusting.

>         I'll need to set-up a crank trigger pick-up that will synchronize
> which cylinder gets fuel and I'll need a pick-up that determines when #1
> fires so as to get sequential fuel injection.

At high power outputs the injectors will be open for near 90-100% duty cycle.
Sequential injection will thus make absolutely no difference.  Local 5.0 litre
Chev, Ford and Holden powered race cars get in excess of 550 HP running
unleaded fuel without the aid of supercharging.  Seqential injection has
been tested and found to offer no benefits for this application.

>         An air temperature sensor is necessary in "tweaking" the air-fuel
> ratio to optimum level.  An oxygen sensor would also be needed to "close the
> loop" and have feedback controlling the amount of fuel injected.

Air temp is mandatory (especially for boosted applications where the air
temp will varing by over 100 deg C).  Closed loop control is impossible using
EGO sensors as you will be running very rich anyway.

>         Now, how does one get 600 hp's off a small block Chevy?
>
>                         TURBOSUPERCHARGERS!!!!!

600 HP should be very feasable with much less than 30-40 psi boost.  We
intend to tweak our 2.0 litre Toyotas (ex GT4 Rallye Celica) to well over
300 HP without taking the cam covers off the standard engine.  600 HP from
3.0 litre turbo Nissan engines has been done here.

> Mike Taylor

Robert

             Robert Dingli           r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au

Power and Control Systems                 Thermodynamics Research Lab
Electrical Engineering                    Mechanical Engineering
   (+613) 344 7966                           (+613) 344 6728
  University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3052, Victoria, AUSTRALIA