Help on improving injector control at high freqst

Dale Ulan ulan at ee.ualberta.ca
Sat Feb 18 00:05:57 GMT 1995

> Initially I thought that it would be the activation time that limited the
> frequency/control of the injector but now I'm wondering if I could get
> more accurate shutoff if I did a peak and hold on the current. In the archives

Yes. By reducing the current, you control the shutoff time a lot.
Also, raising the zener clamp voltage, you can speed the shutoff a lot.
Don't exceed the maximum for the driver device, though. See the Motorola
data sheets on the chip MC3484.

> accurate control of the on-off of the injector?  In the long term, the

If you can get the correct Motorola chip (there's the 2.4 amp and 4 amp
peak current versions. The hold current is 1/4 of that.

A resistor may help, but chances are you'd get much better results with
the controller chip. If you have a bear of a time getting the chip,
National makes a similar chip that controls an external darlington
instead of having it on chip.

-Dale