New member intro

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.oz.au
Thu Jan 5 23:56:42 GMT 1995

Robert,

>  My name is Robert Dingli from the University of Melbourne, Australia.
>  As a hobby, some friends of mine and I have developed a programmable
>  EFI/ignition system which is now at small scale production stage.  I
>  run the system on my 1974 Daimler Sovereign (XJ6) and have installed
>  them on many other cars (mainly 4 cylider and rotaries).
>
>  I'm interested in hearing what others have done in the field.

Good to have another melbournite on board! (I work at Telecom Research
near monash uni).

Please tell us more about your injection computer! It seems you are one
of the first people on this mailing list to get something up and going.
What processor are you using? 68HC11? 8051? What method are you using,
speed density (MAP sensor based), or with an airflow sensor of some
description (trapdoor, hot wire, karman vortex). Tell us a bit about your
algorithms, as this is always a talking point here.

I'm currently designing an ECU based on the 8051 family (80C552 to be
precise), supposedly this chip was used in the bathurst skyline GTRs.
My application is rotary turbos/peripheral ports so I plan on using
speed-density, combined with throttle position for the peripheral ports
(very little vacuum in a peri-port with more than about 1/4 throttle,
and air flow sensors cost too much, unless I can make one). I have some
measurements of an aftermarket ECUs performace if you're interested.

Incidentally, has anyone else out there got a design to make a hot wire
or karman vortex sensor? I wouldn't imagine hot wire would be overly
difficult.

Cheers,
Craig.
pugsley at trl.oz.au