MAF and SD (was re: Re: New member intro)

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Tue Jan 10 03:22:02 GMT 1995

tsakiris at ed8200.ped.pto.ford.com writes:
> |Duh, that makes sense. But it still seems like you'd have more problems with
> |SD.  Simply driving to a different altitude would change the density of the
> |air, and throw off the calculation. Or would it? Maybe I'm missing something
> |wrt SD.

It doesn't matter what the ambient air density is.  Air density in the
intake manifold is all that matters.

> Speed density systems that I know of include a barometric pressure sensor.  I
> don't really know who the audience is here yet, so if my comments are to
> generalized or simplified I apologize.

GM speed density uses only MAP.  Did Ford's aborted attempt at speed
density use a BAP sensor?  (the worst comments I've heard about that
system have all come from Dearborn :)

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://frank.mtsu.edu/~lusky/               (615) 726-8700